Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hi! Sorry it's been a little bit since I have written, things have been really busy here at Western! We're interviewing people for new RA positions next year, Secret Garden is in it's final stages of rehearsal, and I'm getting my life ready for the summer!

First, let's start with interviewing. Being a Resident Assistant (RA) is one of the best jobs I have ever had and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to apply! You have to live in the dorms one semester before you can apply, but after that you are golden! I only did it my second year of college and I love every second of it. But, this isn't about me! We have a lot of new people applying for the 17 positions opening up in the fall. The returning RA's don't have to do the whole application process, but they do have to have a special interview with our boss Dustin Conover and he will decide whether to rehire them or not.

My part in the applicants process is that, as a staff member, I get to attend the interviews of the applicants and ask them questions. After that we discuss what we thought of them with Dustin and he makes the final decisions. It really is a great experience to talk to the applicants and be a part of the hiring process, it's all new and great to learn!

Next, Secret Garden. Oh, Secret Garden. It is the next play that the theatre department is putting on. It shows the last three weekends in April at 7:30pm. Please come and watch if you can! Perspective theatre students can get in free if they talk to the theatre office. It is going to be a great, great show and we just started tech rehearsals. Which means the set, lights, costumes, and props have just come into play. I am on costume and set crew and it is a lot of hard work and long rehearsal hours, but it's worth it!

Lastly, my future plans. I have organized to live in an apartment in Salt Lake City, which I am very excited about. The hardest part is looking for jobs! Am I right? We must not give up though even though it seems finding jobs these days is really difficult. Speaking of jobs, when you come to Western there are LOADS of internship opportunities! Plus, we have a place called the ACE IT center and they help a LOT with jobs too.

Best of luck and KEEP WORKING HARD till graduation! Hope to see you perspective kids in the fall when I visit!
-
Emily

p.s. don't forget to ask me questions! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment